The House

The House/Gallery is closed for the season. It will reopen in the spring of 2025.


COLORBLENDS purchased the house, a fine example of Colonial Revival architecture, on December 4, 2013.

The house was built in 1903 for Albert S. Wells, general superintendent of the Bridgeport Malleable Iron Company. It is set among other beautiful houses in the Stratfield historic district in Bridgeport.

The Long Road to Restoration

Colorblends intends to bring the house back to its former glory. Initial steps have included opening up three porches that were enclosed over the years and clearing out the basement, which had been divided into nine small rooms during a period when the house was used for private tutoring. Other previous uses of the house were as offices for an architect and before that a doctor who also lived there with his family. Fortunately, many original elements, such as the woodwork on the stairs and several stained glass windows, have been spared over the years. Replacing them would have been prohibitively expensive, if not impossible. The goal is slow, steady progress towards restoration.